Main
Page 52 of 59

October 23, 2010

Figure Drawing This Week

I really enjoyed drawing the two models at The Society of Illustrators this week -  and liked my four 5 minute poses best.  I'm thrilled that I was even able to get some facial features in these drawings - definitely some progress for me.

The woman model had a mohawk with very long gray hair down the stripe. 

           Scan10508.adj.size.jpg

 

The male model had very long dreadlocks and a very athletic nimble body - with fabulous short poses.

                  Scan10509.adj.size.jpg

These drawings were done with a 9B graphite pencil - thus the smudges.

October 20, 2010

Comparison of 3 Strathmore Visual Journals

I decided to do a direct comparison of the 3 Strathmore Visual Journals by doing a sketch in pencil, then ink, and finally reasonably wet watercolor painting.  See my previous post for information about why I am using these instead of my usual daily handbound watercolor journals.  I will tag each of these entries in the "Strathmore" category on the right sidebar. 

Here are the current 3 pages for comparison - all drawings were done at the same time, then ink was added to all at the same time, and then they were painted.  I painted the figures, going down the line.  After they dried, I painted all of the borders.  After they dried, I tried glazing with the complementary color and scrubbing with a stiff brush.  In reality I probably only waited 5-10 minutes between painting the layers.

 Watercolor:

                Scan10506.size.jpg

Bristol Vellum:

                Scan10503.size.jpg

Mixed Media:

                Scan10502.size.jpg

 

Conclusion:  The different paper types were more similar than different in this direct comparison with pen, ink, and watercolors.  Each of the pages buckled a little as it dried, but as soon as they were dry, I scanned them (not more than 1 hour later) and there were no shadows from the buckling.  And this morning, the pages are flatter.  The glazing looked similar on each, and I was able to lift a little paint from each page with a stiff brush, and with only a little roughing up of the paper.   I like to use both sides of my 140 lb watercolor paper, so next I need to test these pages further by painting on the other side. 

I've worked on a few other pages in each journal and after I've done a few more, I'll post the results for a single journal, one by one, showing the various ways I tested my tools in that journal.

October 8, 2010

Learning a New Skill

I took a class with 2 of my art buddies this week, in which we learned how to make Thermofax screens that can then be used to transfer images to paper or fabric (with fabric paints or thickened procion MX dyes).  You can see details of our day here in Rayna Gillman's blog and a humorous recounting of the day in my friend Pat Gaignat's blog.  I'm the one in the gray shirts in these photos. 

I took lots of black and white images with me to make screens, but I was most interested in getting screens with images of my pregnant model from figure drawing.  I also made screens from designs that I can use for background surface design, screens from some of my stamps, and screens from photos I took of Manhattan.  While in class I tested some of the screens with Profab paints in my watercolor sketchbook and on fabric - and couldn't wait to go home and try printing with thickened dye on fabric for quilt journal page #6.

Here are the 3 journal pages that I made - very quickly and with very little thought.  But it gives you some idea of the images I can now print. 

                 Thermofax1.jpg

                      Thermofax2.jpg

                         Thermofax3.jpg

 

 

October 5, 2010

Figure Drawings from September

Thursday evening at the Society of Illustrators is with "costumes."  At my last session, both models were dressed as gun molls - and sketching was much more difficult than usual.  Here are several of my drawings that were "least bad."

Two Minute Poses:

         Scan10443.size.jpg

Five Minute Pose:

                        Scan10444.size.jpg

Ten Minute Pose:

Scan10445.size.jpg

My current sketchbook is too big for my scanner, and I can't prevent the shadows on these drawings without transforming them in Photoshop like I did in the middle pose.  While drawing these, we were listening to a 3 piece jazz combo - a real treat that is part of the experience at the Society of Illustrators.

 

October 1, 2010

Quilt Journal Page #5

P1110572size.jpg

I used Shiva painstiks and a stencil to transfer my figure drawing to hand-dyed pole wrapped shibori patterned fabric for quilt journal page #5.  I bought this sample metallic set of painstiks 4 years ago and never tried them before now. 

The 3 figures were "painted" using a small stencil brush.  The binding was made by rubbing the painstik directly over orange construction site mesh that is currently being used on scaffolds at our apartment building.  The free form quilting was done with black thread - as before.  

The quiltlet is actually 8.5 X 11 inches - it is my photo that makes it look out of shape.  I hope to use silk screen or thermofax screen printing for QJP#6.