Main
Page 7 of 13

October 17, 2010

Rice Mice Are Nice Mice - and How To Make One

WARNING:  This is a long Post

Several years ago, I posted photos and journal pages about Rice Mice that I made for Christmas decorations and for my grand children's stockings.

Here is the link:  http://www.paperandthreads.com/2008/12/the_wife_of_one_of.php

Most of the important information about the origin of these handmade toys and my love of them is in that blog post and very important to the rest of the story.

I had so many requests for information about where to buy the book, that I contacted Dr. Sam Refetoff and met with him and his current wife Heather when they were visiting New York City and plans began to update and publish a new edition of the book.  Heather worked with Ann Goodman Hayes, one of the original co-authors, and I closely followed the progress of the project.  The 2nd Edition is now available.

               RiceMiceAreNiceMice.jpg

To obtain copies, contact Ann Hayes:  annhayes@ionsky.com 

I read all of the poems in the book to my grand children, ages 3, 5, and 7, this weekend over breakfast and once again needed to make a Rouse Mouse - singular of Rice Mice. 

There are new poems in this edition and lovely line drawings.  Here is one I thought was appropriate for this blog.

Sketches.RouseMouse.size.jpg 

And here is happy Sydney, still in her nightgown this morning, with her new mouse.  She selected the fabric, buttons, and tail from my plentiful stash and then worked with me right up to the point where we added the rice.

               P1110860.size.jpg

And here are the photos of the furry little creature. 

         P1110869size.jpg

P1110871.size.jpg

October 1, 2010

Quilt Journal Page #5

P1110572size.jpg

I used Shiva painstiks and a stencil to transfer my figure drawing to hand-dyed pole wrapped shibori patterned fabric for quilt journal page #5.  I bought this sample metallic set of painstiks 4 years ago and never tried them before now. 

The 3 figures were "painted" using a small stencil brush.  The binding was made by rubbing the painstik directly over orange construction site mesh that is currently being used on scaffolds at our apartment building.  The free form quilting was done with black thread - as before.  

The quiltlet is actually 8.5 X 11 inches - it is my photo that makes it look out of shape.  I hope to use silk screen or thermofax screen printing for QJP#6.

September 19, 2010

Quilt Journal Page #4

This is the 4th little quilt in my series in which I am exploring multiple ways to transfer my figure drawings to fabric. 

It started as a full piece of white fabric.  The figures were traced on the fabric with an Ebony pencil, and painted with regular brushes and thickened procion MX dyes.  Then the background was painted, stenciled with sequin waste and net, and stamped - with the same dyes.  After 24 hours to dry, the excess dye was washed out.  The figures were then free-motion stitched through all 3 layers and the binding applied

QJP4.size.jpg

Next I might try Shiva Painstiks - I bought them 4 years ago and have never tried them.  This is all play and I'm having so much fun! 

September 10, 2010

A 3rd Figure Drawing on Fabric

After months of delay, I made another quilt journal page today, my 3rd for the week.  I really wanted to play with some of my figure drawing images on fabric, but just couldn't get started.  I'm sure that I was afraid that I couldn't successfully make what was in my mind.  So I had to force myself to select an image, resize it, print it, and pretend that I was just going to practice some stitching.  Of course I got excited when I started and now I think I'll be able to continue work on this series.

I am exploring ways to transfer figure drawings of a pregnant model to fabric and only using my own dyed fabrics for the quilt.  The image on the right was a watercolor and ink drawing I did in my sketchbook of a sculpture by the Israeli artist Ruth Bloch.  I transferred the JPEG to EQ Printable fabric with an Epson photo printer.  The seated figure was a fused applique using WonderUnder.  The image was stitched using free motion quilting.

QJP3.size.jpg

                                             Size 8.5 X 11 inches

September 8, 2010

Figure Drawing on Fabric

I originally saw quilt journal pages at the Houston Quilt festival in 2002 and made many in 2003.  Conventionally, these are small art quilts that are 8.5 X 11" in size, although there aren't any fixed rules.  This year I decided to make more, using my figure drawings as inspiration and exploring a variety of ways to transfer the images to the fabric.  I finally had time to play this week and made two.

Quilt Journal Page #1: (Note: forgot to take my handsewing needles out - upper right corner)

                QJP1.size.jpg

I transferred the image to the background fabric and stitched around it with free motion quilting.  The background was colored with Neocolor II wax crayons and the entire piece was bound with hand-dyed fabric.

Quilt Journal Page #2:

            QJP2.jpg

The two images were stenciled with Jacquard fabric paint on a hand-dyed background fabric, and then quilted with free motion and straight stitching.  The binding is hand dyed fabric from my stash.

I still haven't tired of the images of the pregnant model from my figure drawing class, even though I used them to make many stamps and several small artist books.  I will probably use more of them to extend this series as I explore more fabric surface design techniques. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13