Page 1 of 2

May 10, 2019

FIT Experimental Textile Screen Print #5

This was our final Screen Print project for the Semester:  We could use any screen print technique from the semester, on fabric, but we also had to add foil to the fabric.  I used screen filler and a 3 color reduction print and then added foil to the 3 squares.  The foils don't show up in photos like this.  See the foils below. 



Foils:  I passed foil paste through my screen in the square areas, let it dry, and then pressed the foil to the fabric with a 375 degree press. 



This was a paper collage I made in the Matisse Cut-Out Studio at MoMA.  The series of collages I made there inspired 2 of my projects at FIT.



April 26, 2019

Screen Printing Project Four

Source:  We converted art photos to half tones, and made photo emulsion screens to print our images.  This is a sketchbook ink and watercolor painting I made many years ago in London.  My two oldest grandchildren, who are now teenagers, were walking in front of us in Hyde park when our one year old granddaughter turned to her 3 year old brother and said "HAND and he obliged!"  I quickly snapped a picture of them, and her monkey, and painted it at home that day.



First 2 Color Screen Print on Fabric



Last 2 Color Screen Print on Fabric


April 5, 2019

Screen Printing Project 3

Screen Print on Fabric:  For the 3rd of our projects this semester, we had to create two "positive" images, and burn them into screens, registered, and make 2-color prints on fabric.  Registered means that you can easily place the print from one screen exactly on top of the print from the other screen.  I had the fashion model with the horizontal stripes on one screen and all of the calligraphy/typography on the other screen.  The first screen was printed in black (figure) and the second one in charcoal gray (typography).  The print measures 15 X 19"  The background fabric is white.  



Original Art Inspiration:  I sketched a live model in a Fashion Illustration course last year and then collaged over the drawing. 



Creating the designs for the Screens:  The positive images for the screen #1 were created by collaging black paper and typed words, that were printed on a transparency, to create the blouse.  All the pieces were taped to heavy vellum to photograph (burn) them onto a photoemulsion screen.  The calligraphy for screen #2 was printed on transparency sheets and cut out and taped to a second piece of vellum to make the other screen.  Here are the two sheets of vellum clipped together for me to test the image.



March 13, 2019

Experimental Screen Printing - Project 3

These are the designs for my next two silk screens at my Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) Experimental Screen Printing class.  For Project 3, we needed to prepare designs for two screens, one with a design/drawing and the other with only typography.  When the screens are printed, the images will need to be accurately placed (registered), so the designs are printed perfectly together.  This image is a composite:  I layered my two designs, each taped to a piece of vellum, clipped them together, and then took the photo as a reference. 

One layer has my figure and the 3 black stripes.  The other layer has my calligraphy printed on acetate, cut into pieces, and taped to the vellum with clear tape.  I just wanted to see the superimposed images before going to class tonight to make the actual silk screens.



The image on the right is the original figure, created last year as a collage.  I sketched a fashion model and then cut out black and gray paper to collage on my drawing from that fashion illustration class.  This weekend I traced the collage, made patterns for the pieces, and cut the parts out of black paper and a sheet of text from a word processor that was printed on acetate for the blouse. 


It will take most of my 4 hour class tonight to learn how to register my two designs, and then register them, coat my screens with photoemulsion liquid, dry them for 30 minutes, transfer my designs to the screens in the exposure unit, wash them thoroughly, dry them for 20 minutes, and then tape the screens for printing.  I wrote this just so I can remember!!

My classmates, who are taking the course for credit, need to turn in 3 registered prints in 2 weeks. 


March 8, 2019

Experimental Screen Printing 2nd Project

We made two photo emulsion screens for our second project, and then printed both, with different color inks, on the same fabric. 

Design for Screen 1:  black cutouts mounted on vellum with clear tape.



Design for screen 2:  Various objects, either black or painted black with acrylic paint and a brayer, mounted on acetate with clear tape..


I don't understand the photo emulsion liquid or the huge camera we used to create our screens, but the only open mesh on the screen was where the black objects were placed. 

Fabric Print 1 on white fabric:  This was the first print - using pale pink, then medium pink, then purple ink.



Fabric Print 2 on white fabric:  This was the second print, using pale yellow, darker yellow (off set), and two shades of green ink.


I'm learning lots, and have no idea what I will ever do with the fabric prints, but that is OK.  A stimulated mind at my age is wonderful! 

<< 1 2