Page 16 of 20

June 14, 2010

The End of my Mixed Media Journal

I am uploading the last 2 page spread, acknowledgements, and the back cover of my mixed media journal.  It was a great project and I'm already making another one of these 8 X 10" watercolor paper journals, although I'm not sure how often I will work in it. 

Single Page Plus back of Rear Flap: 

Over the past several years, I celebrated my love of coffee while doing Every Day Matter weekly challenges.  It seemed like the perfect topic to use to finish this play project.  The collages were scanned, printed, and cut out from sketchbook pages that show how many ways we have to make coffee at home.  The square stamp is actually 4 small square stamps of different sizes that can be combined using different stamp inks.


Inside Back Cover and Back Cover Flap:

I wrote myself a long note about the circumstances of this challenge by Melly and Pat, and my process and the fun that I had.  I decided that I definitely needed to acknowledge my muses and used pieces of a photo of the 3 of us on a recent field trip to see Art Quilts at the Morris Museum.


The Back Cover:

I looked up the 3 Graces and the mytholocial muses and decided that this was a perfect image for my back cover.  I previously did the drawing in the Greek and Roman Galleries at the Met, and scanned, printed, and collaged it to this page.


This was a fun project, and an interesting watercolor journal to use.  I made it from Teesha Moore's YouTube video of the 16 page journal (really 12 pages plus flaps which are slightly narrower).

June 6, 2010

A New Project

My art buddies brought their sketchbooks to the Met when we went to see the Picasso exhibit and I told them how much I loved their mixed media pages.  Melly said - try it, put more than one thing on a page.  Pat said add layers, many layers.  I had an 8 X 10" journal that I made from Teesha Moore's 16 Page Journal You Tube video several weeks ago so I decided to use it and to accept their challenges.  However, I wanted to make collages from my own sketchbook pages and add at least one new drawing to each page.  

I pulled out all of my random art supplies and played for one week - just letting the pages evolve from printed sketchbook pages.  Here is the front cover, and the first 2 pages.  The collage painting on the cover was from the Poiret Fashion Exhibit at the Met and she reminded me of a muse.  The Picasso page has several of his Barcelona artist caricatures collaged in one of the layers and a Picasso inspired drawing on top.  My Maternite page has several of my pregnant model stamp images which I cut out and added as collages and the drawing of mother and child on top.  Both drawings were done with acrylic ink and a dip pen.




 The next page is a double spread and will need to be photographed, not scanned, so I will probably add it within the next few days.

May 25, 2010

Every Day in May - 25

I was just about to start my daily journal page last night when I found a 4-part video on Teesha Moore's blog about making quilted books.  In Part 1 she showed many quilted covers, some of which contained paper, and two of them started me thinking about another project.  These two books had a cover that opened in the center and either two faces - one on each front half - or one face - in the center back.  I don't know how the faces were made - transfers from photos or painted - probably the former.

She makes little "quilt pillows" and then stitches them together to make her covers.  I would adapt my regular quilt-making techniques and  just borrow the ideas about a center front opening and faces.  I'd like to put hats or paint hair on the heads and add arms, instead of wings.  If I made these books for family, I would make the face theirs.

So, in order not to forget the idea, my sketchbook page became drawings and notes for the project.  The colors and way of coloring the book are mine.


May 18, 2010

Every Day in May - 18

I blocked out three days to make new fabrics to use as book cloth for my watercolor journals.  Over the last 20 years I learned many surface design techniques for silks and  cottons and love to play with dyes and resists to create textiles.  In a Manhattan apartment, I need to "schedule" time to play with dyes because I have to get out so many supplies, tools, etc.  And our dining room table is covered in plastic for several days as the fabric cures and dries. 

I purchased 3 new primary color dyes in February and made up new stock solutions.  Then when I was "playing" I decided to see if the stamp process I used recently for paper worked equally well with fabric.  Here are my stock solutions, the secondary colors I mixed and my new stamp.  I used it to stamp a dark blue design over an entire piece of dyed blue-green cotton that will be book cloth.



May 14, 2010

Every Day in May - 14

I finally finished the book inspired by Gwen Diehn's book on Darwin.  Hers was really small.  The ones that our Journal Study Group made are 3" X 5". 


Here is the cover of mine.


This book has two concertinas, one that makes up the spine and end papers of the book and a second one that makes the pages.  The concertinas are stitched together with a 3 hole pamphlet stitch.  The spine of the book is then held closed with one stick which goes through 3 tabs - two on the front cover and one on the back.

These are the pages that I created using stamps I made from figures I sketched at the Society of Illustrators figure drawing sessions this spring. 

End paper on the left and page 1:


Pages 2 and 3:


Pages 4 and 5:



Pages 6 and 7:


Page 8 and End Paper:


When the stick is removed, the spine can be opened to reveal a hidden image.  This is a stamp that I made from my painting of mother and child - inspired by a Henry Moore sculpture.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20